Spanish for “The Inn” or “The Lodging” – La Posada Motor Hotel now (La Mansion Del Rio) hotel is located within a short walking distance of the HemisFair grounds. The site is located on a thin plot of land with Collage Street on one side and the banks of the San Antonio River on the other.
In the early 1850’s the site became home to St Mary’s School for Boys. By the early 1960’s the school had grown into St. Mary’s University and relocated the remaining assets from the downtown location to the larger campus on the north/west side of town. As part of the renovation, a new addition was added to the existing building bringing the total room count to 184. In keeping with San Antonio’s rich Spanish colonial history the new hotel was designed to resemble an old Spanish villa featuring arched walkways, terra cotta tile and patios at every turn. Its location on the San Antonio River also offered guests access to the river taxi’s that transported fair goers to & from the HemisFair site.
Below are images of the hotel’s River Walk side durring HemisFair ’68.
Below are scans of a brochure from the hotel during the early 1970’s.